Burjesta Theatre Weekly Workshops - Storytelling
Wed 27th Feb at 7pm
The Casa, Hope Street, L1 9BQ
Starting this Wednesday 27th February and running over the next month
or so Burjesta Theatre will be running workshops looking at various ways
of ‘storytelling’. Aside from creating, we hope, enjoyable
and challenging workshops in themselves, we hope to create a cohesive,
core theatre group ready to go on and produce and perform work created
from the workshops.
Brecht, Dario Fo, John McGrath, Joan Littlewood, Kabuki, Socialist Realism...
Some of things we’ll be looking at, considering, being influenced
by will be -
- Bertolt Brecht’s ideas on ‘Alienation’ and ‘Epic
- the Italian political satirist Dario Fo’s methodology based on medieval
strolling players, buffoons, clowns and commedia dell ’arte;
- John McGrath’s (7:84 Company) techniques in his most famous play
‘The Cheviot, The Stag and the Black, Black Oil’ (which distilled
200 years of Scottish Highland history into an hour and a half play);
- Joan Littlewood’s (Theatre Workshop) ‘Oh What a Lovely War’;
- the concept, much abused and misunderstood, developed in the U.S.S.R.
of ‘Socialist Realism’
- as well as tipping our hat and trying out exercises from Chinese and Japanese
(Kabuki) theatrical traditions.
We’ll also make use of politically contemporary events to illustrate
All you really need to take part is £2 in, loose-fitting clothes
and trainers (workshops will be physical in nature, not discussion-based,
and will always begin with a fairly extensive warm-up), enthusiasm and
an open-minded spirit of enquiry.
All are welcome from total beginners to the more experienced. Adults
We look forward to seeing you there!
For further information you can check us out by the following means -
Facebook at either 'Burjesta Liverpool' or 'Burjesta Theatre'
Email to email@example.com
Phone on 07913 449 396